Monday, October 24, 2011

Recovery


Have you been rocking and rolling this weekend? I know Lori has. And she has a different take on the Inspiration challenge. Her card does both. And with STYLE! (cue the harps)

I'm still recovering from yesterday's Rubber Stamp Convention in San Jose. I was working the American Art Stamp/Gourmet Rubber booth. And I brought our Fall Collection and our line of CutUps Dies. Of course, I forgot to bring the Big Top CutUps. So those of you who prepaid for your Big Top CutUps at the show, they are ready to be popped in the mail as we speak. So I'll make this post a short one.

At the show, I remembered what made going to rubber stamp conventions so exciting. Not only was it was a great place to meet up with friends who actually know what I'm talking about when I say "masking" or "distressing" (in a good way) or debate with me about the whole unmounted versus mounting thing.

But, I realized, it's all about the discovery. Discovering new stamps and stamp companies and discovering new techniques.

My friend Robert, the owner of American Art Stamp and Gourmet Rubber was actually working the demo table. It was only the third time he demoed in his life and he was having so much fun playing with the stamps and Smooch spritzers. And he was good. He was all about discovering how they worked and sharing with the stampers who gathered around his table what he was discovering while he played.

And as I was watching him I realized that our times for discovery at stamp conventions could be at an end. With so many stamp companies having to tighten their belts, it's hard to shell out the money for the booth fees and traveling costs, so the shows are getting smaller and smaller. It's so important to support these conventions when they come to your town, otherwise, not only is there a possibility the conventions might disappear, but the stamp companies, too. And our time with friends and our time for discovery.

So if there is a stamp convention coming to your town, go to it. It just may make to remember how fun it is to discover new things.

1 comment:

Makalah said...

I'm really excited that the local stamp/scrap expo is the weekend before my birthday this year. Should you ever be interested in a show in Madison, WI, let me know! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin